Yayasan Kebajikan Negara, Malaysia (YKN) is a charitable fund under the jurisdiction of the Minister of Women, Family and Community Development. YKN was incorporated on 5th December 1981. YKN is Alliance Islamic Bank’s charity of choice to support for their corporate donations. Find out more about Alliance Islamic Bank here
Sarina Abd Ghani is a 43 years old, mother of four from Marang, Terengganu. She is a very hardworking woman who tires her best to help her family by running a small business of baking and selling bread.
– Her husband was forced to leave work in 2016 as the factory where he worked was shut down. He tries working odd jobs here and there to supplement the family income.
– The condition became worse when she couldn’t afford to pay for the monthly loan payment of RM 480 for their house. They had to sell it off at an extremely low price just so that they can repay the bank loan and this brought them to the streets. Currently, Sarina and her family are renting a house for a monthly fee of RM 380.
– Sarina has 4 children. 2 children aged 12 and 13 years old are enrolled in a primary and secondary school respectively. The elder children aged 18 and 20 year old respectively are pursuing a Diploma in Vocational College at Tembesu Kuala Terengganu.
– Sarina hopes that when her children complete their studies, they will become the pillars of the family. As a mother, she is trying her best to support all the necessary costs so that her children can focus on their studies.
Alhamdulilah, so far the response to her baking has been overwhelming and Sarina is trying her best to do more to meet the customer demands. Unfortunately, she is restricted by her minimal equipment which hinders her baking capacity to produce more.
The oven that she has only can cook 2 breads at a time. Sarina wakes up at 1 AM to prepare 200 pieces of bread which is ordered by a restaurant in Kuantan, Pahang. The bread is delivered by an express bus with a costs her RM 30 at 6.00am in the morning. Her husband helps her by going around and distributing the bread to be sold.
Even if Sarina wants, she has a very limited capital to take orders in large quantities. She tries her best to bake for local bakery and grocery store while also trying to meet the orders from restaurants and resorts in Kuantan and Paka.
Sarina is a woman of strong will who doesn’t give up in the face of difficulties. Despite facing so many hardships, she continues to bake and sell bread in small quantities.
Luckily, her husband still has a small car which can help distribute the bread. The car still has a RM 350 per month installment bank loan for another 3 years which needs to be paid.
With the bread costing about RM 3.50 per piece Sarina manages to earn about RM 680 in sales per month. She is left with hardly anything for her family and daily needs after deducting the payments for house rental, car loan and raw materials.
Despite wanting to produce more bread to sell, she is held back because of financial and technical constraints.
To ensure long term progress, the money donated for this campaign will help Sarina by buying for her:
– Raw Materials
– Others related appliances
All this will amount to RM 6,000. Sarina, under the guidance of YKN hopes that this will help increase the bread production and she can meet the customer demand at a larger scale and deliver at a faster rate.
Sarina also hopes that she can get enough capital to rollover so that she can get payments even after the delivery. This will open doors for more restaurants and groceries to place orders with her.
The Messenger of Allah ﷺ said: It is better for one among you to bring a load of firewood on his back and give charity out of it (and satisfy his own need) and be independent of people, than that he should beg from people, whether they give him anything or refuse him. Verily the upper hand is better than the lower hand, and begin (charity) with your dependants. [Muslim]
Sarina is a living example of the hadith of the Prophet ﷺ regarding those who try to work to earn a Halal and respectable income instead of begging others. At GlobalSadaqah our mission is to empower such people so that they go from becoming beneficiaries to benefactors themselves. This is the core of our mission to Circulate Good.
Even the smallest of donations count. The donations from this campaign not only help Sarina set up a decent business but will also help stabilize a family going through a very tough time Don’t let the numbers stop you for Allah loves all those who give and help remove a difficulty of a fellow Muslim.
|Mohd Yassri bin Mohd Isa||$5|
|Alliance Islamic Bank||$320|
|Muhammad Shukry Bin Khairuddin||$1|
|Samuel Chan Hong Shen||$10|
|Emmy Abdul Alim||$10|
|Alliance Islamic Bank||$300|